These ice lanterns were inspired by ideas found on instructables.com. The instructions found were how to make ice balls and how to make battery powered LED ice lanterns. I thought it would be an idea to make a low tech version of the LED lantern.
Here are the instructions:
1. Fill ordinary balloons with water from the sink. Fill to a safe size.
2. Put the balloons in the freezer for at least four hours until fully frozen. Make sure as few as possible objects deform the balloons while freezing.
3. Use a drill with a hole saw to mark the outline of where you want to put a tea light candle.
4. Make the hole deeper by using a knife and carving the ice from the hole. You have to make sure the candle wick will be below the top of the hole to make the lantern shimmer and to shelter the fire.
5. Put a tea light candle within the hole and light it.
That's it - enjoy the beautiful light in these dark days.